First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Williams
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1971-1974
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: STS1(SS)

Bluenose certificate

Post by jjoldtyme »

Any shipmate know the date in 1971 - 73 that we crossed into the Realm of the Arctic Circle. I remember we celebrated, but we never got the certificate. Perhaps, we went too far north and were not supposed to be there? It would be nice to have the certificate...
Thanks and Kind Regards to all. Joseph Williams, STS1(SS), 1971-73, 6 patrols, blue crew.
Last edited by jjoldtyme on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT-STS627g
First Name: John
Last Name: Horner
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1970-74
Rate: STS2(ss)

Re: Bluenose certificate

Post by JT-STS627g »

Joe, the date on my Blue Nose certificate is 7 December 1972, but I was gold crew. Don't know about the blues. I believe the c.o.b. took orders for the certificate and we paid him for them.
JT
Sonar gang '70-'74 Gold
jjoldtyme

Post by jjoldtyme »

JT, it's like a blast from the past talking to you again. I remember the turnovers in general but can barely remember the details. Thanks for the follow-up.
JT-STS627g
First Name: John
Last Name: Horner
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1970-74
Rate: STS2(ss)

Post by JT-STS627g »

Know what you mean about a blast from the past. I remember you from turn-over, but more than that, Joe I remember you from fleet sonar school in Key West 1969. There were several guys I think from the Clamagore in our class. You hung out with a guy named Mogador or something like that. You called him "Mr. Moto" I think. He drove a brand new Mach I Mustang, very nice!!! Remember Greeb the class leader that converted from a cook to sonar. Nice to hear from you.
JT
Sonar gang '70-'74 Gold
jjoldtyme

Post by jjoldtyme »

I remember the cook, but only vaguely. I can't yet quite remember the name of the sailor I shared a trailer with offbase outside the naval air station to get out of the barracks - seems to be blurred now. When I went to the Lewis & Clark in 1970, my LPO was Bob Ross who was on the Clamagore earlier - a surface sailor who went subs. Ross was a terrific tech as well as quite a drinker...whew! Mr. Moto will take some time to conjure back, it seems. Key West was really great then. I still go down just to soak in the beauty and laid back style of the Keys. I'll get back to you when the fog lifts...jaw