First Name: Rufus Keith
Last Name: Holman
Crew?: Combined and Blue
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM1 M-Div

Getting in Shape for the Reunion

Post by Keith Holman »

You know, with the reunion coming up, some of us don't sport the same muscular physique we did when we first met on the boat. That may lead to crash diets or exercise programs so I thought I'd pass this along in case you wanted to work on it a bit between now and then.

Just came across this exercise suggested for seniors, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my friends. The article suggested doing it three days a week.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags. Then 50-lb potato bags. Eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the bags.

Good luck. Maybe all of you can master this exercise. (Now if I can just the amount of hair and the color that guy in the picture on the left has....)

See you in Connecticut!
~Keith
Reunion Association President