First Name: Terry
Last Name: Duhn
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1970-74
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: STS2 SS So

A Proud Dad

Post by TERRY DUHN »

Some of you may remember My son Jesse from the first reunion in Charleston. He is a Junior in school this year and has been getting many (3more today ) college info pamphlets in the mail.
Last Oct. he was able to attend "The National Youth Leadership Forum" in Washington D.C. While there he was able to tour Annapolis.
He found out they had a Summer program lasting a week and made an application to attend it. Yesterday he received notice that he infact has been asked to attend the 1st Summer Session .There are 3 total with a max of 600 students enrolled in each.Much of the criteria for the summer camp is the same as enrollment in the academy.
As with any student that is a junior he hasn't really made up his mind what to do when he graduates.
Maybe he will carry on the Navy tradition. Will keep you posted.
Terry Duhn-Dingus
STS2SS
1970-1974 Gold Crew
Glenwood,Mn
Keith Holman
Site Admin
First Name: Rufus Keith
Last Name: Holman
Crew?: Combined and Blue
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Rate: MM1 M-Div

Post by Keith Holman »

And Papa is proud of that? He darn well ought to be! Congratulations, whatever he decides!
~Keith
Reunion Association President
Clark Jordan
First Name: Clark
Last Name: Jordan
Which Years on Board: 1988-92
Rate: LT

Post by Clark Jordan »

One of our shipmates (or at least one of mine from 1990 -1992 timeframe), LCDR Greg Cotten, is the head of the Chemistry Department at the Academy. He is transferring sometime in the near future to a new billet, although I can't remember the exact date. He's a great guy. If you have a chance, it might be worth touching based with another MADISON sailor if you have any questions about the Academy. I spoke with Greg when my son was considering the Academy, and I believe that the program that you mention will be a great help in the highly competitive admission process at the Academy. He should be proud of his selection.

Greg's e-mail was cotten@usna.edu, and may still be, if you want to drop him a line.

Good luck to you and to your son!
Clark Jordan
1988-1992 Gold/Combined Crews
TERRY DUHN

Post by TERRY DUHN »

Just to bring you all up to speed on the subject that was before listed I had thought I had done this earlier but it must not have wen through. My son has infact enrolled at the University of Minnesota in the Navy ROTC Program . He is Mid shipman Duhn but his Dad will not call him Sir HEHE. Never would call the ones that came on the boat for a summer cruise sir either. He is active in the Color Guard and the Drill team and really enjoys it. he is looking forward to going out to san diego next summer The drill teams just went out to the Ithica NY to Cornell university for a little competition and the UMM came in third and forth in drill and phsical readiness It is good to have him home on this thanksgiving Day
TERRY
Terry Duhn-Dingus
STS2SS
1970-1974 Gold Crew
Glenwood,Mn
TERRY DUHN

Re: A Proud Dad

Post by TERRY DUHN »

One last time on this update Jesse completed U of Minnesota in 3.5 years and on the 18th of December he was commissioned Ensign Jesse Duhn. He has been accepted into the Nuclear Propulsion School in Charleston and the end of this month we will move him there. Needless to say we will be attending the reunion. After Nuc power school he will attend Sub school and then onto the fleet. He is excited about his future and looks forward to serving his county. Needless to say as the subject started Ruth and I are very PROUD Parents.
Terry Duhn-Dingus
STS2SS
1970-1974 Gold Crew
Glenwood,Mn
JT-STS627g
First Name: John
Last Name: Horner
Crew?: Gold
Rate: STS2(ss)

Post by JT-STS627g »

Terry, congratulations to you and your son. You should indeed be extremely proud. It seems today, any kind of interest in the military by the young is very rare.
I too, will be attending the Charleston reunion. Received an email from Jimmy Blackwelder who says he will be attending also. Here's something that will really blow your mind, it did mine. Blackie has a daughter in the Navy who is a CPO with 20 yrs in. Unbelievable!

Your shipmate,
John T
JT
Sonar gang '70-'74 Gold
TERRY DUHN

Post by TERRY DUHN »

HI To Everyone Yesterday Nov. 22 recieved word from my son in an e-mail (my how times have changed) that LTJG Jesse Duhn, who many of you were introduced to at the last reunion in Jacksonville, recieved his Gold Dolphins aboard the USS Georgia SSGN 729. Needless to say as the post started out many years ago it is with great PRIDE that I inform you of this. Jesse will hopefully be home during the holiday season. Thanks to all of you for keeping him and all our military in your prayers.
TERRY & RUTH DUHN
Terry Duhn-Dingus
STS2SS
1970-1974 Gold Crew
Glenwood,Mn
Keith Holman
Site Admin
First Name: Rufus Keith
Last Name: Holman
Crew?: Combined and Blue
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Rate: MM1 M-Div

Post by Keith Holman »

What?! He was a non-qual at the reunion and we let him sit at the same tables?! I guess times have changed indeed.

Seriously, congratulations on a major accomplishment!
~Keith
Reunion Association President