First Name: Rufus Keith
Last Name: Holman
Crew?: Combined and Blue
Which Years on Board: 1980-84
Special Crew?: Neither
Rate: MM1 M-Div

Enough, guys! Who's here?

Post by Keith Holman »

C'mon, I see the registration list growing (yippee) but too many of you are practicing staying undetected still. Those days are gone.

When you sign up, take the time to introduce yourself. Let folks know you're here.

I'll go first.

Keith Holman, M Division. Came onboard in 1980 while the ship was in drydock in NNews. I was there for the last 27 months of the 18 month refueling and D5 conversion overhaul. While we were on the barge, I spent a lot of time in logroom. After we got going, I stood watch in ERUL and as ERS. I loved it when the 8K was pumping freshwater!

Your turn.
~Keith
Reunion Association President
RussBrentnell
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Brentnell
Crew?: Combined and Gold
Rate: mm1 (nuke)

Post by RussBrentnell »

Russ Brentnell,

"M Division. Came onboard in 1980 [Feb 19th] while the ship was in drydock in NNews. I was there for the last 27 months of the 18 month refueling and D5 conversion overhaul. While we were on the barge, I spent a lot of time"...

playing cards, drinking and partying. IMHO, I think the hardest thing about the yard, overall, was having to qualify watchstaions with sometimes no equipment there and of course not being able to operate anything. I was told many times, "They should be installing that right there....." After we got going, I too was ERS, but 1 patrol I was SPCP b/c we were short on electricians. I think it was just 1- I can't remember anymore :smt017 . Hell, I don't remember squat of the last 2 patrols. We had 5 or 6 EWS's, so those of us that were ERS didn't even have to work on quals for it, so I never bothered trying.
Combined in the Yard/Gold crew, 80-84 M-Div

Ship's New Storekeeper 2017-
MattBaseflug
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Baseflug
Crew?: Blue
Which Years on Board: 1983-88
Rate: ET-1

Post by MattBaseflug »

Matt Baseflug ET1

NavET, came aboard in "83" as a member of the "Blue" crew, made 7 patrols, 6 of those as a Navigation Center Supervisor. Also one of the few NavET's to qualify below decks watch, I was bored. Went through one TRE exam, which suxored as I was the Nav Center Supervisor during that time.

Senior Chief Smith (CNC) was the Nav Center LPO when I came onboard.
Nav ET Div, Blue, 83-87
dboutell
First Name: Daniel M (Dan)
Last Name: Boutell
Which Years on Board: 1965-68
Rate: EM2 (SS)

Post by dboutell »

Dan Boutell EM2

I came aboard the Blue Crew on it's second or third run right after Nuke school. So, that would have to be early to mid 1965. Seems like I flew from Albany, N.Y. to Charleston and probably 2-3 days later we were on the flight to Rota, Spain.

I made six runs on the Jolly Dolly before getting transferred to the Haddo, a fast attack for my last 1-1/2 years, which seemed like it was all underwater.

I remember more about off duty times than what we did when we were out on patrol. Although the gang that I hung around with helped make it a bit more bearable. We did have some great times on those patrols, but I really don't remember much that had to do with operations. It was a pretty set routine of six hours on the Electrical Plant Control Panel, then twelve off doing what we could to entertain ourselves. Seems like a lot of that was stuff that could have gotten us thrown out of the Navy.

Of course, the 30 days R & R and the following 60 days training were pretty wild, too. Those are the times that I remember most.
drl620
First Name: Doug (Leroy)
Last Name: Lounsberry
Crew?: Gold
Which Years on Board: 1972-1977
Rate: MM1

Post by drl620 »

hmmm, thought I already did this, but maybe it didn't take. Doug Lounsberry MM1, (another nuc), signed on under Capt Max Akers and Chief "Oscar" Mayer. Had a great crew most of my tour. Did 7 patrols, which sucked. reported on board sometime in 72, and left valentines day 77. General Memories: Totaled out my 73 Hemi-Cuda during an off crew period and walked away without a scratch, I used to love to drink and fight during re-fit periods-often losing so the first week or so of patrol was recovery time. Picked up the nickname Leroy and it still is with me to this day. Played pinnocle alot, played my harmonica in engine room lower level when I was really bored, read tons of the crappiest books known to man, survived on bug juice and rolls, hated pork - adobo meals and mystery meat mid rats, had to stick my face in John Gartens fat harry belly when he was the "Baby' during an artic circle run. Got caught making wine using an ELCs sample bottles and grape juice, made a mid shipman cry when we took his shoes-filled them with water and froze them in the freeze box-he swore i'd pay for that some day-never heard from the weiner, smoked two packs of Marlboros a day so I left for patrol with my locker mostly filled with cartons of cigarettes. Painted the LithBro about a billion times because the A-gangers kept rocking it up and had to put a torch to it to loosen it up. Loved to hear that load WHOOSH sound as some sleepy unsuspecting individuals would use the head and out of habit pull the flush lever while the sanitary tanks were being blown...brown shower! Never had one my self thank goodness. Accidently overpressurized Sanitary 3 while on watch in AMRII lower level and blew crap all over the ET on watch back aft when he unsuspectly flushed before I could vent. Went to Nuc school in Bainbridge, loved it, great area. Went to prototype training in New York S3G, loved it even more, hated to leave. Roomed with John Boy Forester until I got married in 75, then moved to Summerville.

How's that for an intro,
Leroy
toadeblois
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: DeBlois
Which Years on Board: 1981 -1985
Rate: mm2

Enough guys who's here

Post by toadeblois »

Glenn DeBlois - M-div came aboard in the yard 1981 ended up on blue crew until 1985 . Remeber volunteering to do back to back runs because gold grew was short a m-div guy . I think it was Russ Brentanell who had his appendix out Lubinski thought it was okay but they turned me down.Lived in Goosecreek and had the best off crew keggers every Thursday Any one Remeber???????????
Keith Holman
Site Admin

Post by Keith Holman »

had the best off crew keggers every Thursday Any one Remeber???????????
I remember that most folks couldn't remember much on Fridays! :D
~Keith
toadeblois

couldn't remember fridays

Post by toadeblois »

We sure had some good times though Keith. Hoping to catch up with people I haven't heard from in a long time

Toad :D
RussBrentnell

Re: Enough guys who's here

Post by RussBrentnell »

toad wrote:Glenn DeBlois - M-div came aboard in the yard 1981 ended up on blue crew until 1985 . Remeber volunteering to do back to back runs because gold grew was short a m-div guy . I think it was Russ Brentanell who had his appendix out Lubinski thought it was okay but they turned me down.Lived in Goosecreek and had the best off crew keggers every Thursday Any one Remeber???????????
Nope, wasn't me. I don't remember being short guys. Most of the time we had 1 or 2 extra. In fact, for a while ERS was on 4 section duty. And I even qualed and stood SPCP. It must have happened after I left in early '84. There were a bunch of us that got to the yards about the same time so we all figured someone was gonna be hurtin' when we all got out at the same time.

toadeblois

Post by toadeblois »

I don' remember what year it was but Gold crew was in coco beach for missle testing and I know Chief Ski needed a mdivver for an upcoming orse because someone went down with appendicitis thought it was you Russ soorry :?
RussBrentnell

Post by RussBrentnell »

toad wrote:I don' remember what year it was but Gold crew was in coco beach for missle testing and I know Chief Ski needed a mdivver for an upcoming orse because someone went down with appendicitis thought it was you Russ soorry :?
No biggie. That would've been when we were doing daily ops to test the missile, torpedo, etc. systems prior to going on actual patrols in '82(?)

Maybe that was when Ricky Sprow, dude from Ohio, was down and out for whatever-the-hell. I remember going down to the base hospital in Orlando to see how he was doing- musta been in Florida for some reason to end up in Orlando....

Keith Holman
Site Admin

Post by Keith Holman »

I check in several times per week to see who's posting what and there had been a spell of no or few messages. Today I took a look at the members list and realized that a lot of folks are still practicing stealth tactics, i.e., signing up but not saying anything!
Speak up! Declare yourself! Let someone know you're here!
~Keith
RussBrentnell

Post by RussBrentnell »

Keith Holman wrote:I check in several times per week to see who's posting what and there had been a spell of no or few messages. Today I took a look at the members list and realized that a lot of folks are still practicing stealth tactics, i.e., signing up but not saying anything!
Speak up! Declare yourself! Let someone know you're here!
I also check in a few times a week, and have noticed that we have more than a few older members and lots of new guys reporting onboard that haven't introduced themselves. Please speak up! We want to get to know you.....

Mrf1212
First Name: Florian (Murph)
Last Name: Folger
Rate: A-Ganger

Enough, guys! Who's here?

Post by Mrf1212 »

Hi all. I guess I'm one of the guilty. I'm Florian (Murph) Folger an A-ganger that came to the boat in June '80 while we were in Newport News. At sea, I was on the Blue Crew and primarily stood AMR #1 with Bob Wright and Bill Hemmelgarn (but there were a few other A-Gangers that were qualified and stood the watch at the same time). Very interesting and good site--I'm glad to have come across it...and to see/read/email friends I knew is GREAT. Since I first visited a couple days ago I've been trying to place some faces to names to help fill gaps in the lists of the early '80's but so many already have visited here--I don't want to make redundant entires. Somewhere in my attic (I dread the visit) I might find an old qual PO list or qual card--I know I should have a few--it seems I was always losing them in the yard and needing a new one...or maybe the an old "library" list. Anyway, thanks to those that have set up this site and it's nice to welcomed aboard again.
JSloan
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Sloan
Which Years on Board: 1980-85
Rate: A-Gang (MM)

Post by JSloan »

Sorry I haven't been too active here.

Jeff Sloan, A-Gang Blue from '80 to '85. After the yards (and hydraulic lunches) stood Aux Aft and AMR1. As for memories...don't think I should write most of them even tho' they were mostly fun.
--Jeff
A-Gang Blue '80-'85